Creamy cauliflower with cashews… oh my!
Happy Holidays Simple Eaters!
Although the holidays are all about enjoying the moment, sometimes you need a simple, healthy, nutrient dense dish that you can throw together in 30 minutes. There comes a point where I’ve had enough sugar for the day and would really like a savory dish to counteract my giggles and head floating in the clouds. HA!
On a more serious note, sugar is highly inflammatory and can interfere with the immune system’s ability to do its job. It’s good to have a recipe in your back pocket to help balance the sugar highs.
This creamy cauliflower soup is so silky and smooth it literally melts in your mouth. The cashews add a richness that satisfies any taste bud, not to mention the added nutrients and healthy fats. Cashews are also a great source of copper, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, and manganese. Heck, you can even sprinkle some on top if you like more texture.
Let’s talk about the benefits of cauliflower. When consumed regularly, it may lower the risk of certain types of cancers. It also provides a great amount of phytonutrients, vitamin C, vitamin K, folate, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, and fiber. These contribute to supporting the immune system and energy pathways. This is a “must try” recipe—super easy and delicious! Enjoy!
Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 t sea salt, divided
- 1/2 t pepper
- 2 T olive oil OR ghee
- 4 c Vegetable or Chicken Broth (I used Imagine No Chicken Broth)
- 1 c water
- 1/4 c raw cashews
- 1-2 T chives chopped (optional)
- In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil/ghee over medium-low heat with a dash of sea salt. Stir every couple of minutes for about 10 minutes.
2. Add pepper, broth, water, cashews, the rest of the salt, and cauliflower. Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until cauliflower is soft.
3. Transfer to a blender. (I used a Vitamix, but you can use any blender or an immersion blender.) Taste for seasoning and adjust. Add chopped chives as a garnish.